The Haywood County Schools Board of Education voted Monday night to reopen schools for in-person learning, starting Monday, Sept. 28.
Next week, individual schools will finalize learning plans. In-person students will be told their A Week or B Week rotation and bus schedule as it applies to them.
Superintendent Dr. Bill Nolte said the district will use safety precautions and all employees will be considered essential unless they have a medical or childcare exception. And only those waiting on COVID-19 tests will be approved for remote working.
“The parent and student desire to return to in-person learning was overwhelming,” Nolte said in a news release. “There were over 6,600 intent responses and 73.9% requested a blend of in-person and remote learning. The remaining 26.1% requested remote only learning."